2019 Los Angeles Printers Fair
October 19 - October 20$10
The 11th Annual Los Angeles Printers Fair
Saturday, October 19th & Sunday, October 20th, 2019
10am to 4pm
The Fair supports the non-profit International Printing Museum and its educational mission.
- The Fair is suitable for all ages.
- General admission is $10 for adults and $5 for kids under 12 years of age.
- Students, educators, enthusiasts, collectors, typophiles, bibliophiles, graphic designers, artists, and professionals will enjoy the varied demonstrations and array of vendors.
- Children are welcome but need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- The Los Angeles Printers Fair is sponsored by PIASC & Kelly Paper
SPECIAL EXHIBIT: A Retrospective of the last 10 years of Printers Fairs.
FEATURED ARTIST: Chris Fritton aka “The Itinerant Printer”
Chris Fritton sojourned on a two-year, coast-to-coast adventure to redefine the idea of itinerant or “tramp” printers in modern times. With only paper and ink, he hit the road, travelling 50,000 miles by car, plane, and train across the rich North American landscape, visiting 120 letterpress shops. Working exclusively from the proprietors’ collections of wood type, metal type, border, ornaments and more, Chris produced a total of 15,000 prints during his journey. From a studio cabin nestled amongst the live oaks covered with Spanish moss to a printing lodge situated in the wide expanse of western Texas; this unique tour captured the culture and spirit of modern artistic letterpress printers who have been working hard to keep letterpress alive through these rapidly changing times.
Chris will be showcasing his unique prints as “The Itinerant Printer” at this year’s LA Printers Fair, a two-day celebration of letterpress and the book arts on October 13th & 14th in Carson, CA. Guests will be able to meet the artist, hear his colorful stories of the printing artists he met, and even purchase one of his prints or cards. Chris will also be signing copies of his new book, “The Itinerant Printer”.
Activities running throughout the day:
- SHOPPING – Don’t miss your chance to buy original handmade and printed gifts suitable for 6 year olds! We have over 70 Vendors and Artists exhibiting and selling their wares. Click HERE to to view the full Vendor Listing from last year (2017) and stay tuned for the 2018 list!
- LETTERPRESS SWAP MEET – Don’t miss your chance to buy antique letterpress equipment and everything you need for your own print shop. Type-lovers, graphic designers, artists, printers, and members of the public are welcome to peruse hundreds of cases of type and thousands of pounds of equipment and presses in the largest printing swap meet in the Southwest.
- GENERAL GALLERY TOURS and TYPE CASTING – Experience 500 years of printing history as our knowledgeable docents guide you through our collection. Demonstrations of the Museum’s collection of antique presses will be ongoing throughout the day. Witness liquid metal transformed into a piece of type in front of your very eyes, see the smooth gears of the 1880’s Grasshopper Newspaper Press churning, or find out what a turn of the century Nerve Medicine has to do with printing.
- HANDS-ON-PRINTING – Be enthralled and fascinated by experiencing printing both traditional and modern. Try your hand at letterpress on a variety of presses including an antique 1850’s parlor press! Pull your own print on the beloved Vandercook Press or use a sign press to print a personalized bookmark.
- THE 50’s PRINTING SHOP – Travel back in time to experience a 50’s era working printing shop. See Windmills, Ludlows, Linotypes, platen presses, proofing presses, a Miehle Vertical, and our vast collection of wood and metal type. Have your name cast in metal on our working linotype, which Thomas Edison called “the eighth wonder of the World!”
- PAPER MAKING – Master Paper Maker Colin Brown will be demonstrating his techniques and helping visitors make their very own piece of handmade paper.
- PARKING: Please park across Torrance Boulevard in the Shopping Center or in the Church parking lot to the East of the Museum. Use the crosswalk at the light to get to the Fair. You may also drop off visitors in front of the Museum main entrance. There is no parking on the Museum’s property.
- ADMISSION: General admission is $10 general admission and $5 for kids under 12 years of age. Cash is recommended though we do take credit cards. EXACT CHANGE IS APPRECIATED. You may also pre-purchase your Fair tickets on our website and bring your printed receipt as proof of admission or show your receipt at the door on your mobile device.
*Please only bring service animals to the fair
- FOOD & DRINKS: Cold drinks and snacks will be available for sale. A number of food vendors will also be on site to stave off your hunger for food. You may also bring your own snacks and drinks. There are a couple of Fast Food restaurants across the street.
- WEATHER: We will hold the Fair rain or shine. Wear appropriate clothing.
- PURCHASES: Bring your own tote or reusable bag to store items you may be purchasing or to hold free material.
*If you plan on purchasing presses or other equipment you will need to carry your item to your vehicle. A rolling cart might be advisable. You will need to make individual arrangements with Vendors on the delivery of your press or heavier equipment. Each vendor will handle all payments either by cash, check, credit card, or PayPal.
- VOLUNTEERS: We need scores of Volunteers for the Printers Fair before, during and afterwards. Volunteers will receive free admission. For more information about being a volunteer and the various areas of help needed, or to sign up as a volunteer, please CLICK HERE or contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Facebook Event: RSVP today!
- Facebook Discussion: Keep up to date throughout the year.
- Twitter: @laprintersfair
- Instagram: @printmuseum
- Pinterest: LA Printers Fair
For more information or comments regarding the 2018 Los Angeles Printers Fair, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.