THE 8TH ANNUAL LOS ANGELES PRINTERS FAIR
SAVE THE DATE: SATURDAY OCTOBER 1, 2016
The Los Angeles Printers Fair will be held Saturday, October 3, 2015 from 10 am to 4 pm. The Fair supports the non-profit International Printing Museum and its educational mission.
The Fair is suitable for all ages. General admission is $10 for adults, $8 for students & seniors, and $5 for kids under 12 years of age. Students, educators, enthusiasts, collectors, typophiles, bibliophiles, graphic designers, artists and professionals will enjoy the varied demonstrations and array of vendors. Children are welcome but need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
ACTIVITIES RUNNING THROUGHOUT THE DAY INCLUDE:
• LETTERPRESS SWAP MEET – Don’t miss your chance to buy antique letterpress equipment and everything you need for your own print shop. Type-lovers, graphic designers, artists, printers and members of the public are welcome to peruse hundreds of cases of type and thousands of pounds of equipment and presses in the largest printing swap meet in the Southwest.
• GENERAL GALLERY TOURS – Experience 500 years of printing history as our knowledgeable docents guide you through our collection. Letterpress demonstrations on various presses will be on-going throughout the day.
• TYPE CASTING and PRINTING DEMONSTRATIONS – Demonstrations of the Museum’s collection of antique presses will be ongoing throughout the day. Be enthralled and fascinated by experiencing printing both traditional and modern. Try your hand at letterpress on a variety of presses including an antique 1850′s parlor press!
• THE 50’s PRINTING SHOP – Travel back in time to experience a 50’s era working printing shop. See Windmills, Ludlows, Linotypes, platen presses, proofing presses, a Miehle Vertical and our vast collection of wood and metal type. Have your name cast in metal on our working linotype!
• 3D PRINTING & AUGMENTED REALITY – This year’s fair will feature a 3D printing company which will perform a complimentary head-and-shoulder computer scan for visitors providing a print-ready file. They will also be creating a miniature working model of Gutenberg’s printing press, a piece of movable type that will be used in an antique printing press, and a full color miniature statue of Johannes Gutenberg himself. In addition, there will also be a demonstration of “Augmented Reality” by the digital marketing agency Verasim.
• PAPER MAKING – Master Paper Maker Colin Brown will be demonstrating his techniques and having the audience participate in the process.
• SHOPPING – Don’t miss your chance to buy original handmade and printed gifts! We have over 70 Vendors and Artists exhibiting and selling their wares. Click HERE to to view the full Vendor Listing!
• SHOW & TELL WALL – Once again we are going to have a giant Show & Tell Wall at the LA Printers Fair! Post your prints, posters, design samples, business cards, typography and more on our fence for everyone to see and comment on.
PARKING: Please park across Torrance Boulevard in the K-mart Shopping Center. Use the crosswalk at the light to get to the Fair. You may also drop off visitors in front of the Museum main entrance. There is no parking on the Museum’s property.
ADMISSION: General admission is $10, $8 for students/seniors, and $5 for kids under 12 years of age. Cash is recommended though we do take credit cards. EXACT CHANGE IS APPRECIATED. You may also purchase your Fair tickets through PayPal and bring your printed receipt as proof of admission or show your receipt at the door on your mobile device. Click HERE to purchase your tickets before the Fair!
FOOD & DRINKS: Cold drinks and snacks will be available for sale. A number of food vendors will also be on site to stave off your hunger for food. You may also bring your own snacks and drinks. There are a couple of Fast Food restaurants across the street.
WEATHER: We will hold the Fair rain or shine. Wear appropriate clothing.
PURCHASES: Bring your own tote or reusable bag to store items you may be purchasing or to hold free material.
*If you plan on purchasing presses or other equipment you will need to carry your item to your vehicle. A rolling cart might be advisable. You will need to make individual arrangements with Vendors on the delivery of your press or heavier equipment. Each vendor will handle all payments either by cash, check, credit card or PayPal.
VOLUNTEERS: We need scores of Volunteers for the Printers Fair before, during and afterwards. Volunteers will receive free admission. For more information about being a volunteer and the various areas of help needed, or to sign up as a volunteer, please CLICK HERE or contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
PINTEREST: LA Printers Fair
For more information or comments regarding the 2016 Los Angeles Printers Fair, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buy your very own piece of history at the 7th Annual Los Angeles Printers Fair!
The International Printing Museum recently received thousands of Depression Era Art Prints. These 1937 prints were apart of an effort by the NATIONAL COMMITTEE FOR ART APPRECIATION, spearheaded by Eleanor Roosevelt herself, to give the public a much needed moral lift by making available the world’s most famous paintings from the last few centuries, at a price within the reach of nearly everyone. They were created with the cutting edge technology of the day combining glass plate lithography with offset techniques.
After only a few months this project was abandoned and the more than 3 million prints left undisturbed in a warehouse until their rediscovery in 1964. The E. Joseph Cossman Company of Los Angeles, CA reassembled these masterpieces into Treasures of Art Portfolios.
Stop by the International Printing Museums’ booth at the Los Angeles Printers Fair to look at these beautiful full color prints. We will be selling the prints at the booth and proceeds will go to fund our Capital Campaign to expand the Museum’s exhibits and programs and to develop an operation fund for the Museum’s future.