The Los Angeles Printers Fair will be held Saturday, October 1, 2016 from 10 am to 4 pm. The Fair supports the non-profit International Printing Museum and its educational mission.
The Fair is suitable for all ages. General admission is $10 for adults, $8 for students & seniors, and $5 for kids under 12 years of age. Students, educators, enthusiasts, collectors, typophiles, bibliophiles, graphic designers, artists, and professionals will enjoy the varied demonstrations and array of vendors. Children are welcome but need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
The Los Angeles Printers Fair is sponsored by PIASC.
SPECIAL EXHIBITION: COVER TO COVER: THE VINYL SLEEVES OF THE STOUGHTON PRINTING COMPANY
To celebrate the recent revival of vinyl records, there will be an exhibition of the 52-year historic collection of printed vinyl sleeves from Stoughton Printing Company, the premier record jacket printing company in America. The exhibit will showcase a half-century of album coves, from the first printing of the album that introduced the Beatles to America, to the latest retro vinyls. Owner Jack Stoughton himself will detail the process of how album sleeves are printed and manufactured. Every visitor will have a custom Printers Fair LP sleeve to take home as a keepsake.
ACTIVITIES RUNNING THROUGHOUT THE DAY INCLUDE:
•LETTERPRESS SWAP MEET – Don’t miss your chance to buy antique letterpress equipment and everything you need for your own print shop. Type-lovers, graphic designers, artists, printers, and members of the public are welcome to peruse hundreds of cases of type and thousands of pounds of equipment and presses in the largest printing swap meet in the Southwest.
• GENERAL GALLERY TOURS and TYPE CASTING – Experience 500 years of printing history as our knowledgeable docents guide you through our collection. Demonstrations of the Museum’s collection of antique presses will be ongoing throughout the day. Witness liquid metal transformed into a piece of type in front of your very eyes, see the smooth gears of the 1880’s Grasshopper Newspaper Press churning, or find out what a turn of the century Nerve Medicine has to do with printing.
• HANDS-ON-PRINTING – Be enthralled and fascinated by experiencing printing both traditional and modern. Try your hand at letterpress on a variety of presses including an antique 1850’s parlor press! Pull your own print on the beloved Vandercook Press or use a sign press to print a personalized bookmark.
• THE 50’s PRINTING SHOP – Travel back in time to experience a 50’s era working printing shop. See Windmills, Ludlows, Linotypes, platen presses, proofing presses, a Miehle Vertical, and our vast collection of wood and metal type. Have your name cast in metal on our working linotype, which Thomas Edison called “the eighth wonder of the World!”
• PAPER MAKING – Master Paper Maker Colin Brown will be demonstrating his techniques and helping visitors make their very own piece of handmade paper.
• SHOPPING – Don’t miss your chance to buy original handmade and printed gifts! We have over 70 Vendors and Artists exhibiting and selling their wares. Click HERE to to view the full Vendor Listing!
• SHOW & TELL WALL – Once again we are going to have a giant Show & Tell Wall at the LA Printers Fair! Post your prints, posters, design samples, business cards, typography and more on our fence for everyone to see and comment on.
PARKING: Please park across Torrance Boulevard in the K-mart Shopping Center. Use the crosswalk at the light to get to the Fair. You may also drop off visitors in front of the Museum main entrance. There is no parking on the Museum’s property.
ADMISSION: General admission is $10, $8 for students/seniors, and $5 for kids under 12 years of age. Cash is recommended though we do take credit cards. EXACT CHANGE IS APPRECIATED. You may also purchase your Fair tickets through PayPal and bring your printed receipt as proof of admission or show your receipt at the door on your mobile device. Click HERE to purchase your tickets before the Fair!
FOOD & DRINKS: Cold drinks and snacks will be available for sale. A number of food vendors will also be on site to stave off your hunger for food. You may also bring your own snacks and drinks. There are a couple of Fast Food restaurants across the street.
WEATHER: We will hold the Fair rain or shine. Wear appropriate clothing.
PURCHASES: Bring your own tote or reusable bag to store items you may be purchasing or to hold free material.
*If you plan on purchasing presses or other equipment you will need to carry your item to your vehicle. A rolling cart might be advisable. You will need to make individual arrangements with Vendors on the delivery of your press or heavier equipment. Each vendor will handle all payments either by cash, check, credit card, or PayPal.
VOLUNTEERS: We need scores of Volunteers for the Printers Fair before, during and afterwards. Volunteers will receive free admission. For more information about being a volunteer and the various areas of help needed, or to sign up as a volunteer, please CLICK HERE or contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
PINTEREST: LA Printers Fair
For more information or comments regarding the 2016 Los Angeles Printers Fair, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.