The Los Angeles Printers Fair was held Saturday, October 6, 2012 from 9 am to 5 pm. The fair supports the non-profit International Printing Museum and its educational mission.
The fair is suitable for all ages. General admission is $6 for all ages. Students, Educators, enthusiasts, collectors, typophiles, bibliophiles, graphic designers, artists and professionals will enjoy the varied demonstrations and array of vendors. Children are welcome but need to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
The LA Printers Fair is sponsored by PIASC, Neenah Paper and Jeff Campbell of Lithographix.
ACTIVITIES RUNNING THROUGHOUT THE DAY INCLUDE:
• Letterpress “Swap Meet:” Don’t miss your chance to buy antique letterpress equipment and everything you need for your own print shop. Type-lovers, graphic designers, artists, printers and members of the public are welcome to ogle over hundreds of cases of type and thousands of pounds of equipment and presses.
• General Gallery Tours – experience 500 years of printing history as our knowledgeable docents guide you through our collection. Letterpress demonstrations on various presses will be on-going throughout the day.
• Type casting and Printing demonstrations on the Museum’s collection of presses will be conducted throughout the day. Join hundreds who have been fascinated by the printing process and enthralled by experiencing it live.
• “The 40’s Shop” – Travel back in time to experience a 40’s era working print shop. See Windmills, Ludlows, Linotypes, platen presses, proofing presses, a Miehle Vertical and our vast collection of wood and lead type. See slugs cast on our working Linotype operated by Luis Garcia.
• Purchase beautiful letterpress-printed pieces, artist books, gorgeous handmade and commercial paper/envelopes and more from over fifty Vendors at the Fair.
• New to 2012: We’re going to have a giant Show and Tell wall at the LA Printers Fair! Post your prints, posters, design samples, business cards, typography and more on our fence.
• Special one-day only exhibition of prints by Dirk Hagner. Dirk will be speaking about his work in the front gallery at 11am and 2pm and at Booth B50 during the Fair.
PARKING: Please park across Torrance Blvd. in the K-mart Shopping Center. Do NOT park near the Recycling area. Use the crosswalk to get to the Museum side. You may also drop off visitors in front of the Museum main entrance.
ADMISSION: $6 General Admission for everybody, all ages. Cash is recommended though we do take credit cards. Exact change is appreciated. You may also purchase your Fair tickets through PayPal and bring your printed receipt as proof of admission or show your receipt at the door on your mobile device.
FOOD & DRINKS: Cold drinks and food will be available for sale. You may also bring your own snacks and drinks.
WEATHER: We will hold the Fair rain or shine. Wear comfortable clothing.
PURCHASES: Bring your own tote or reusable bag to store items you may be purchasing or to hold free material.
*If you plan on purchasing presses or other equipment you will need to carry your item to your vehicle. A rolling cart might be advisable. You will need to make individual arrangements with Vendors on the delivery of your press or heavier equipment. Each vendor will handle all payments either by cash, check, credit card or PayPal.
RAFFLE: Raffle tickets are only $1 to win outstanding items such as rare books, letterpress pieces and more.
VOLUNTEERS: We need scores of Volunteers for the Fair before, during and afterwards. Volunteers will receive free admission. Check here for times needed and contact email@example.com when you want to sign-up.
FACEBOOK: The Fair is on Facebook; RSVP on the page today.
PINTEREST: LA Printers Fair
For more information or comments regarding the 2012 Fair, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.